Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's Clobberin' Time!

Rich Johnston, Nikki Finke and the N.Y. Times are reporting that the estate of Jack Kirby has filed for termination of copyright on the characters he co-created for Marvel Comics. Will this have an impact on Disney's intended purchase of Marvel?

There is no single person in the history of comic books who created more successful characters than Jack Kirby. There is no one in the history of comic books who received less of his rightful financial due than Kirby. I have no idea how this will play out, but I hope that the Kirby estate realizes millions from this. I'm only sorry that Kirby himself isn't alive to benefit from it.

2 comments:

allen mez said...

I woke to this news on NPR this morning. It made me feel good. As you probably know, Kirby was quite saddened that he didn't leave his family in better financial shape. I hope the Kirby's get their due.

I've been thinking a lot about Disney lately.
http://bit.ly/3lUjGX

N.L. Lumiere said...

Yes, I hope Jack Kirby's heirs get all the benefits of his wonderful work.
Enough of artists getting screwed.
Art has always been like digital P2P music, too many people feel entitled to get it for very little money or without paying at all. Art is not free, it’s a professional service like any other.