Monday, February 14, 2011

Animated Tatsumi

Yoshihiro Tatsumi is a manga artist who is the founder of the gekiga movement, one which took manga into the area of adult content. In some ways his work resembles film noir, dwelling on desperate outcasts who are driven by their emotions to behave in socially unacceptable ways. Tatsumi's work has been published in English by Drawn and Quarterly.

Eric Khoo, a Singaporean director, is adapting several Tatsumi works into an animated feature film. The only information I've found on the film is here.

I've admired Tatsumi's work for years and hope that this film will be worthy of it.

Tatsumi in Toronto in 2009 for the Toronto Comic Arts Festival.

4 comments:

Bijan Shahir said...

THIS IS INCREDIBLE! Very excited for this.

Unknown said...

wow....I hope this works out well!! BTW couldn't agree with you more on that teletoon "contest"

Dave Simmons said...

Hey Mark

When I was recently overseas in Indonesia, Supervising on Franklin(CG), I had the opportunity, to see some of the amazing work on the Tatsumi project first hand. The creative director even gave me a sneak preview before I left. Although it wasn't final, it was very powerful and emotional. The crew at IFW is doing a great job.

S. Stephani Soejono said...

:D Thank you so much for blogging about it Mark :D We appreciate it!!