Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Recommendation

Your Career in Animation by David B. Levy was published last year but I've only just gotten around to reading it. I'm sorry that I didn't get to it earlier, as Levy was at the Ottawa Festival last September and I would have liked to compliment him on this book.

Your Career in Animation is not about how to design, storyboard or animate. This book is about the nature of the animation industry and how you can best enter it and deal with its idiosyncracies. It covers subjects like networking, office politics, being unemployed, freelancing, making independent films and pitching, which are subjects that aren't covered often enough in animation schools.

Levy hasn't just drawn on his own experience; he has interviewed people within the business and shared their experiences as well. My own time in the industry tells me that this book is accurate and Levy's advice is sound. If you're thinking about working in animation, this book is definitely worth reading.

No comments: