Friday, February 16, 2007

Ryan Larkin Has Died


Ryan Larkin, the Oscar-nominated animator, died on Feb. 14 from cancer. He was best known for his films for the National Film Board, including Walking and Street Musique. Recently, he created three five second bumpers for MTV. At the time of his death, he was working on a film entitled Spare Change. According to a CBC radio report I heard, the film will be completed and released this coming Fall.

The Toronto Star obituary is here and The Globe and Mail obituary is here.

3 comments:

Mitchel Kennedy said...

It's too bad he won't get to see his film through. I wonder what he would have to say about the events surrounding it now.

-= Gus Kosmopoulos =- said...

Crap, there goes a guy I wanted to meet. My girlfriend had told me that he was working on some new stuff, and it sucks that as soon as he gets back into the game, he passes on.

He had a good run.

Anonymous said...

I'm bummed. The obit made it sound like he was happy with his life.

It's weird that I've probably walked past him in Montreal.