Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Making Money From Your Films

I have no idea how many people reading this blog come for the animation history material and how many come for the business material. Maybe I'm the only one who straddles both areas.

In any case, there's been some very good discussions on other sites about the economics of posting films to the various video web sites such as YouTube and its competitors.

I'd like to point you to two entries at Cartoonbrew.com, this one and this one. I suspect that everybody who reads this blog also reads Cartoonbrew. If not, you should.

The other two entries I want to point you to are by Keith Lango, an animator who worked on Veggie Tales and the forthcoming Ant Bully. Here's part 1 and part 2 and Keith will be adding a third part sometime in the near future.

And I'd like to mention that Evan Spiridellis of JibJab will be speaking about his company's business model at the Ottawa Animation Festival, which takes place September 20-24. If you're planning to attend the festival, I strongly urge you to see Evan's presentation. I saw it at Sheridan College last April (and wrote about it here) and plan to see it again in Ottawa.

3 comments:

Ward Jenkins said...

Thanks for the heads up on Evan's presentation for Ottawa this year. I saw that he was going to do a workshop, but wasn't sure if it would be worth checking out. Now I plan on going to it, thanks to this post.

In fact, it would be great to meet you, Mark! I'll be there with bells on, rest assured.

Anonymous said...

Agreed Mark...what Evan and Gregg are doing with JibJab is truly inspiring. They understand that to create a truly successful animation enterprise online, you can't just make superficial changes to pre-existing business models but you need to rethink everything from the ground up. So count me as another person looking forward to hearing Evan's talk up in Ottawa.

Ward Jenkins said...

Knowing you, Amid, I'll probably have to nudge you awake from time to time.

Ha! Just kidding.